Are You Searching Online Business,Try It. So Visit Here

Children's Christmas Story Books Online : Little Women Character Amy, Jo, Beth And Meg

Little Women Story

(It's Based On 25 Dec,

 A Christmas Story)


Before You Read


1. Have you and your siblings ever surprised any of your family members?

2. Have you planned something for anyone that made them feel happy?


Discuss in class


This play is based on an extract from the book Little Women. Set in America, during the American Civil War in 1861, the novel follows the life of four sisters - their hardships,

Joys and sorrows


CHARACTERS


1. Jo 2.MEG 3. AMY 4. BETH 5. Mxs MARCH (MARMEE)


Scene - I


(The four girls are in a living room. They all look sad. There is a Christmas tree indicating that Christmas is approaching)



Jo : (complaining) Christmas won't be Christmas without presents this year.

MEG : It is terrible to be poor.

AMY : (stamping her foot on the flour) It's just not fair for some girls to have everything and others to have nothing.


BETH : (contentedly) We have Marmee and Father, and we have each other.

(This brings a smile on the faces of all the girls. The smiles suddenly turn into sad faces as Jo reminds them of something)

Jo : (sadly) Oh, but we shall not have Father for a long time yet! The war is far from over.


MEG : (holding Jo's hands) Do you know why Marmee said we should not have presents this Christmas? It is going to be a cold and hard winter and so many of our men are at war. Will it be fair if we spend so much money and celebrate Christmas? The least we can do is gladly make a little compromise.

Meg, we only have a dollar each. How will saving this dollar help the army? I can't expect Marmee or you to give me a present, but I do want this book. Can't I even just buy it for myself.

BETH: Oh dear! I did want to buy some music sheets. Mine are quite torn.

AMY: I want to buy a new set of colouring pencils for myself. I need them badly.


Jo: Look everyone, Marmee hasn't told us anything about saving the money we have, so we should buy ourselves the gifts we want and be happy.


MEG : (In a soft, but unsure voice)I, too, have been working all year long.

Teaching those dreadful kids is no easy task after all. I'm just longing to have something nice as a reward.

Jo: Teaching the children can't be half as bad as being locked in a house with a nagging old woman, who is never happy with anything I do.

Taking care of the old lady makes me want to just fly out of the window.


BETH : I know it's wrong to fret, but I do sometimes wish my hands wouldn't get so hard with all the washing and cleaning. It makes it hard for me to play the piano.


AMY: I don't think anyone of you suffer as much as I do! I am plagued by girls who mock you for every little thing. They make fun of you if you haven't done your lessons, if you are wearing a shabby dress or even if they think you don't have a nice nose.


MEG: Let's stop bickering. girls! We do have work; we earn for ourselves and are quite a jolly set of people.


(All the girls hug one another and walk away to do their chores.)


Scene II


(The clock strikes 6. The girls brighten since it is time for their mother to come back.

Meg lights the lamp. Amy gets out of her chair. Jo takes Marmee's slippers closer to

the blaze to warm them. The sight of Marmee's sippers has a good effect on the giris.)

Jo : Marmee's slippers look really old and worn out. I think she needs new ones.


BETH : I shall buy a new pair for her with my dollar.


AMY : No, I slhall.


MEG : Look girls! I am the oldest in the family, and with Father away, I am the

head of the family. So, it's my duty to provide for Marmee's slippers and take utmost care of her.


BETH: I have an idea! Let's all buy Marmee gifts for Chrstmas. Let's not buy any thing for ourselves.


Jo: (Excitedly) It's just like you, Beth, to think of something like that. What shall we buy for Marmee?

MEG : I will buy her a pair of gloves.


Jo: I can get her army shoes.


BETH : Some handkerchiefs will surely be useful to her.



AMY : I think I am going to get a bottle of cologne for her. That won't cost me that much. I will even be able to save some money to buy pencils for myself.


MEG : That's nice! How shall we give the gifts to her?


Jo : We'll put all the gifts on the table and then bring her in. Let's all make Marmee feel that we are buying presents for ourselves and We can surprise her later!


(Just then, Mrs March walks in.)



MRS MARCH: (taking off her wet slippers and wearing the warm ones) Hello dearies!

How have you been today?


(Mrs March sits down on an armchair and

gestures Amy to come to her. The girls all gather around Mrs March.)


MRS MARCH: I have a treat for you.


Jo : I know what it is! A letter from Father, isn't it?


MRS MARCH: (smiling) Yes, indeed! A long

letter from Father, saying he is doing well and will get through this dreadful winter

better than we feared. He has sent special messages for all of you for Christmas.


Jo : Please, let's hear Father's message.



MRs MARCH: (starts reading) Give the girls my dearest love and tell them I miss them a lot and pray for their happiness each day. Tell them I think of them by day, and pray for them by night. A year seems very long to wait before I see them, but remind them that while we wait, we must all work. Tell

them they must all do their duties to their best abilities, so that when I return, I will be a happier and prouder father to each of my little women.


(There is silence when Marmee stops reading)




Comments

Are You Searching Online Business,Try It. So Visit Here

Popular posts from this blog

A Moral Story For Kids : Moral Story About Teacher And Student Relationship

Clever Fox And Greedy Wolf Kids Story : Kids Story To Read Book Online In English

Honesty And Truthfulness Story In English: Short Story On Truthfulness With Moral

Are You Searching Online Business,Try It. So Visit Here